2015-06-01

What Do We Really Know About The Humble Enamel Mug?

If you can’t function in the morning without a coffee, chances are you need an enamel mug in your life. I have just jumped on the enamel bandwagon and I’ve got to say I won’t be leaving the vehicle for a while. I’m the sort of person that will make a cup of coffee at work and then set it down and get it engrossed in my work while I leave it to cool. Once I finally realise my coffee is probably cool enough to drink, it’s often stone cold and undrinkable.

This all changed after a colleague presented me for an enamel mug. She’d been given a set for Christmas and decided to do the charitable thing and share them around the office. I was dubious at first because I’d never used one but as soon as I brewed my first coffee in it I knew there was no turning back. The enamel kept my coffee warm and at perfect temperature during the morning, allowing me to do work at the same time as sip away happily on my coffee.

Being the coffee nerd I am, I decided to do a little research into enamel and found that it was the Chinese who really favoured the enamel mug back in the 1970 and 80s due to a material scarcity. However, the benefits quickly emerged and it began used all over. This got me thinking what else don’t I know about the Humble Coffee Mug
History of the mug  

The humble coffee mug has a long history that dates back to 1000 BCE in the Neolithic Stone Age. The mugs were first crafted from pottery in both China and Japan. Archeologists discovered a similar creation sculpted from bones, however, they quickly ruled out it being a genuine mug, as there was no handle. Instead they were considered cups. It is believed, mugs were originally made from wood, however, of course these have not stood the test of time so remains have not been discovered. 

In terms of the mugs crafted in China and Japan, they were originally hand made. As time went on, the invention of the potter’s wheel made this process a whole lot easier. One the cup shape had been spun, it was simple to add on the handle. One downfall of the ancient mug was the thickness of the cup, which made drinking from it quite difficult. However, this was soon improved with the advancements in metal work. 

Around 2000 BCE, metal mugs were crafted to support hot drinks. They were manufactured using expensive materials including gold, silver, bronze and lead. Then in 600 CE, mugs become more accessible when they were crafted from porcelain in China. With this invention, more people could enjoy a thin-walled mug to enjoy their hot beverages.  

Definition of a mug  

A mug is a type of cup that is renowned for being more solidly built. It is typically used for drinking hot drinks like tea and coffee. Often cylindrical in design, they are crafted from earthenware and must have a handle. In terms of its size, mugs hold double the amount a tea cup can, which is approximately 350 ml. They also have thicker walls than a teacup, which helps to insulate the drink and stop it from cooling down to quickly. To diminish the thermal contact with surfaces, you will notice mugs often have either a extra rim at the bottom or are concave, rather than just being flat. This shape allows mugs to leave their trademark ring shape on the surfaces they touch. 

If you would like to try an enamel mug, jump online and check out the range on offer at Ardena Imports at http://www.ardenaimports.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment